I am back

It has been long since I have consistently blogged. I am going to try to keep up with it again...enjoy :)

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Amanda...



Ok...so I don't want to hear it from you Celtic fans or Laker haters :) I will stick my foot in my mouth now. They played horrible and I was disappointed.

Anyway..time to move forward in the basketball world. My JV girls team had their first tournament this past weekend. I was unable to make all but the last game due to the amazing wedding of James and Ruth Rogers that I was privelaged to be a part of. I met the new incoming freshman. It was exciting to meet new girls. Although they looked at me as if I was a new player on the team not their coach. I guess looking young will some day be to my advantage.

I was impressed with all the new girls but one really stuck out to me named Amanda. She is about 4 1/2 feet tall with blonde hair, blue eyes, and a cute raspy voice. I didn't know much about the new girls so I put in the starting line up based on what I already knew. Amanda took her spot right next to me on the bench at the start of the game. She said "I'm hoping to grow this year coach, don't worry." (with a shy smile and meaningful look in her eyes.) I said "I'm not worried at all. You will grow..but the size of your heart is what is most important." (ya.. ok sounds a little cheesy, like something we have all heard a million times. However, I meant it, and I believe that to be true. Especially in the world of girls JV basketball.

It was time for Amanda to sub in. "Ok kid, lets see what you got." I had no idea what I was in for. This girl worked harder then anyone out there on the court. Diving for loose balls, sprinting back in help side defense, crashing the offensive boards, showing emotion. It was really neat to see. It touched my heart and ispired me. This is the part of coaching that is so rewarding.

It got me thinking about life... how often do we underestimate ourselves, and especially others? The smallest kid on the team made the biggest impact on me. You never know how God can use you until you let him use you. The ironic thing is...she doesn't even know the impact she had made. I will eventually tell her. She just went out there with a fight and passion in her heart to give it her all. I am inspired to approach life in this way. I fail to do this often, I easily get discouraged when the results are not clear. However, that is the wrong motivation to have. It is all for the King. Who am I to be in control of who I inspire and who I don't? It is all up to God, and I am thankful that he uses us in this way.

Here is my quote for the day:

"Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds."
-Larry Byrd
(A little shout out to the celtics)

1 comment:

carsonbelmont said...

This isn't really related to the post sorry, but I really like the picture on your blog. Well Done!